- The popular Igbo Military officers in Nigeria history are Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu and Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi.
- The two are the top most popular military officers from the Igbo tribe
- They are not the most ranked Igbo military officers in Nigeria history.
The most ranked military officer from the Igbo tribe is Air Chief Marshal Paul Dike who hails from Issele-Uku in Aniocha North Local Government Area of Delta State.
Aguiyi-Ironsi was a Head of state, his last military rank was a Major General which is equivalent to Air vice marshal in the Air Force. Ojukwu left the Nigeria army as a Lieutenant colonel.
Paul Dike was appointed the Chief of Defence Staff, Defence Headquarters, Abuja by President Umaru Musa Yar’adua in 2008, becoming the first Nigerian Airforce officer to attain the rank of Air Chief Marshal.
The rank of Air Chief Marshal is equivalent to the rank of a General in the Nigeria Army. The rank of a General is higher than the rank of a Lieutenant General and Major General.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THIS
- Meet Abacha’s Strongman Who Escaped Obasanjo’s Massive Retirement Of Military Officers In 1999
- Meet The Military Lawyer Who Argued With Abacha Over The Detention Of Obasanjo, Yar’adua And Co
- Meet First And Only Igbo Military Officer To Be Appointed Chief Of Army Staff In Nigeria