Governor Sanwo-Olu Speaks On #Twitterban

Tinubu, Governor Sanwo-Olu
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu
  • Governor Sanwo-Olu has spoken about #Twitterban in Nigeria.

EKO HOT BLOG reports that the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has advised the Federal Government (FG) to sign ‘rules of engagement’ with Twitter over its usage in Nigeria.

Governor Sanwo-Olu gave the advice while featuring on Arise TV’s ‘The Morning Show’ programme on Monday.

“People are losing money but there are also security issues. Let us be circumspect and not throw the baby away with the bathwater,” the governor said.

Governor Sanwo-Olu added, “Regarding the specifics around Twitter, I cannot sit down here with all of the responsibilities that I have and fly (sic) the commander in chief of the armed forces. He would have the prognosis and security information that I do not have. I cannot begin to say that was he’s done is right or wrong.

READ ALSO: [BREAKING] Twitter Ban: FG Makes Fresh Move, Summons US, UK Envoys

“What I see is that on both sides, there are issues that can be resolved between Twitter and the (Federal) Government and I think what they’ve done is not a ban but a suspension. So, in the period of suspension, let us sit down…we need to have that conversation with them (Twitter).”

He further stated that “In other climes, they sign some underlying agreements on the rules of engagement. I am not sure that is happening here.

“Having said that, the Federal Government can also handle things a lot better because of the number of e-commerce, because of the number of youths that are doing a lot of things on the internet and we cannot throw that away.

Twitter

“I believe there could be better restrain and management from both sides. In the next one or two days, let us see that happen. Lagos is hurting, our youths are hurting, Nigeria is hurting, let us understand the issues and put it behind us so that we don’t politicise it,” Governor Sanwo-Olu said.

The Federal Government had last week suspended Twitter operations in Nigeria, citing the “persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence”.

The FG’s action followed the deletion of a controversial civil war post by President Muhammadu Buhari.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

Facebook Comments

Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:

Kindly contact us at ekohotblog@gmail.com. Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.

Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.

Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611