The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EH Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Requisition ID: req20759
Location: Konduga – Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Sector: Environmental Health
Open to Expatriates: No
- The EH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion will be based in MMC LGA and report to the EH Officer – Hygiene Promotion.
- S/he will be primarily responsible for supervising the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at the community and IDP Camps level as directed by the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Hygiene promotion in implementing hygiene promotion activities in the camp and communities.
- This includes training of Community Hygiene promoters, establishing and training WASH committees, and directly carrying out hygiene awareness in the communities.
- Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities in the communities are implemented in a timely and professional manner and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors including Health, Nutrition, Protection, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
Grant Planning & Implementation:
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials/ NFI’s.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning.
- Directly manage the day-to-day hygiene promotion activities in the field locations.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet agreed objectives within the timeframe.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters and train hygiene promoters on their appropriate use.
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters, community volunteers, community leaders, kid’s hygiene clubs and WASH committees.
- Provide regular reports, document results, and maintain detailed records
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on the quality of materials and detailed NFI distribution records.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting:
- Participate in daily monitoring and recording of Hygiene promotion activities including household visits, Group Hygiene sessions, Mass Hygiene awareness campaigns, NFI distributions and other Hygiene related activities.
- Participate in Monthly HH surveys and KAP surveys depending on need.
Coordination & Representation:
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC logistics, finance, and grant staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures, including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, donors and government at the field level.
- Assist the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion to identify, train and support Community hygiene promoters, WASH committee members and Kids hygiene club members.
- Supervise and manage community Hygiene promoters.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget.
- Responsible for community hygiene promoter’s weekly reports, and weekly work plans.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion, and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
- Minimum of a Diploma or B.Sc. / High National Diploma in Social Sciences or Public Health.
- At least 1-3 years professional experience with NGOs (INGO experience preferred
- Experience in the implementation of hygiene promotion activities.
- Experience in establishment and training of Hygiene Promoters, WASH committees and School hygiene Clubs.
- Good communication skills, effective representation and liaison with community members and leaders.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, is comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word and Excel
- Knowledge of English, Kanuri, and Hausa.
- Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri is calm at the moment but remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality.
- There is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: EH Hygiene Promotion Officer
- Position directly supervises:
- Indirect Reporting: EH Manager.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:
Kindly contact us at email@example.com. Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.
Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.
Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611