Pact West Africa is a Non-Governmental Organization with over a decade of experience working in Nigeria to create thriving, resilient communities that are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact West Africa started operations as Pact Nigeria in 2005, and builds capacity of civil society organizations and improves the livelihoods and health of the poor and marginalized in the society. Pact has 46 staff in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager
Duration: 1 year (February 01, 2022 – January 31, 2023)
- At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization.
- We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future.
- To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
- Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more.
- This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
- Programs – Pact strives for a world where all people are heard, capable, and vibrant. The Programs Team helps realize this objective by bridging program management, technical support, and business development, enabling Pact to achieve its global strategy.
- We ensure program excellence through continuous learning, monitoring and evaluation and provide organizational and industry-wide thought leadership by leveraging a complementary set of cross-functional, multi-disciplinary skills, expertise, and experiences.
- The Programs team: influences progressive change through the development and implementation of global and regional strategies and business plans; supports advancement of innovative solutions; pursues new business opportunities; and drives effective internal and external engagement to maximize Pact’s impact across the globe.
- Across all aspects of its role, the Programs Department adheres to and promotes a culture of inclusion, accountability, and respect.
- Pact is recruiting a Program Manager for a one-year project focused on strengthening rural economic development and improving the commercial viability of mini-grids in Niger State and Plateau State, Nigeria by supporting micro-enterprises’ transition from diesel generators to electric motors, mechanize of labor intensive activities, and start new enterprises that productively use energy.
- The project will be implemented from February 01, 2022 – January 31, 2023, with a possibility for extension and expansion.
- The project manager will oversee the work of two additional full-time staff.
- The project and the role are contingent upon award from the funder.
- The project will address four causes of limited demand for energy:
- Limited knowledge of productive use opportunities, including the economics of transitioning from diesel generators to electric motors;
- Limited business skills and financial literacy, which impedes small businesses from assessing the potential of productive use equipment to improve their operations;
- Supply chain and product quality challenges, and
- To a varying extent, lack of financing options for purchasing productive use equipment. With Pact’s support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will positively impact other socio-economic indicators in target villages, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user.
- We envision that with project support, local economic activity, incomes, and demand for energy will increase, which will contribute to broad-based economic growth, while increasing both the number of customers served by mini-grids as well as average revenue per user.
- Lead Pact’s efforts, in partnership with mini-grid developers, to assess the needs of selected communities, conduct introductory meetings in target communities with participation from community leadership and micro-enterprise owners to provide an overview of the project, secure community buy-in, and to establish a baseline understanding of skills, to tailor the trainings appropriately.
- Hire, train and coach a team of two full-time employees: draft job descriptions, review applications, conduct interviews, manage onboarding, set goals and provide ongoing mentorship and management to support the team achieve project objectives.
- Coordinate Pact’s efforts to provide training and support to micro-enterprises, which will include technical assistance specific to the need (i.e., diesel conversion or new productive use equipment) and business type (i.e., agricultural, industrial, or commercial).
- Assess the market of locally available electric motors and productive use equipment through discussions with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and identify quality products that match the needs and productive use opportunities identified by participating communities.
- Utilize Pact’s proven revolving loan approach to offer financing for those micro-enterprises that require a loan to purchase new equipment or electric motors.
- Work with community leaders to establish or strengthen Village Electrification Committees (VECs), which manage revolving loan funds.
- Refine the productive use and demand stimulation model through research and comparative analysis, adapting the project design based on the results.
- supervise the creation of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and external writing summarizing project results and evidence. Prepare regular reports documenting processes, outputs, and outcomes of work.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and ten (10) years of experience OR Master’s degree and eight (8) years of experience in project management, energy, livelihoods, business administration, capacity development, or other relevant areas.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governments and civil society partners.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and creative problem-solving skills.
- Possess a deep understanding of, and connections to, the communities we serve.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:
Kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.
Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.
Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611