Musk announced that he was putting his Twitter deal “on hold” while assessing how the company calculates the proportion of fake accounts it harbors
- It’s possible Musk is using his professed concern over fake accounts as a pretext to force Twitter back to the negotiating table
- Ukraine War: West Must ‘Prepare For War’, Says Ex-Nato Chief As Putin Unleashes Cruise Missiles In Ukraine
- Elon Musk Stages $43bn Hostile Takeover Of Twitter
- Ukraine Crisis: Russia In Retreat As Putin Appears To Admit Defeat In Battle For Kiev
EKO HOT BLOG reports that Elon Musk said Tuesday his proposed $44 billion Twitter buyout can’t move forward until Twitter’s CEO provides proof the platform has fewer than 5% fake accounts.
“My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate,” Musk tweeted.
Musk announced that he was putting his Twitter deal “on hold” while assessing how the company calculates the proportion of fake accounts it harbors. In a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing, Twitter says that fewer than 5% of accounts on its platform are fake.
Musk said Tuesday: “20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be much higher.” Musk did not detail how he arrived at the 20% figure.
He added: “Yesterday, Twitter’s CEO publicly refused to show proof of <5%. This deal cannot move forward until he does.”
Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal on Monday posted a thread on Twitter explaining why Musk’s earlier suggestion of sampling 100 random accounts to determine the proportion of fake ones wouldn’t work. Musk responded to Agrawal’s post with a poop emoji.
Agrawal said in his thread that Twitter’s estimate of what proportion of accounts are spam was based on “multiple human reviews (in replicate) of thousands of accounts.” He said Twitter’s internal teams randomly sampled accounts the company considered to be “monetizable daily active users.”
- Ukraine Crisis: Powerful Explosions Rock Kyiv After Russian Warship Sinks
- Ukraine Crisis: US To Give Heavier Weapons To Ukraine As Russia Plans Next Assault
- Ukraine Crisis: Russian Soldiers Raping Many More Ukrainian Women, Says MP
It’s possible Musk is using his professed concern over fake accounts as a pretext to force Twitter back to the negotiating table and get a better price for his deal.
Click to watch our video of the week
Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:
Kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.
Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.
Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611