Prosecutors Oppose Releasing Trump Search Evidence
EKO HOT BLOG reports that the US Department of Justice says releasing details about the warrant to raid Donald Trump’s Florida home last week could cause “irreparable damage” to its investigation.
It wants to keep the affidavit – a court document filed to get the warrant – under wraps.
FBI agents searched Mar-a-Lago to find out if Trump improperly handled government records when he left office.
It was the first time an ex-president’s home was raided in a criminal probe.
Eleven sets of classified files were recovered from the search one week ago at the estate in Palm Beach, according to the warrant, which was released on Friday.
Now, several news organisations have applied to have the affidavit – the sworn evidence used to justify the raid – unsealed.
But prosecutors said on Monday that such a move would “cause significant and irreparable damage to this ongoing criminal investigation” – despite having backed the release of the less-detailed warrant.
“If disclosed, the affidavit would serve as a roadmap to the government’s ongoing investigation, providing specific details about its direction and likely course, in a manner that is highly likely to compromise future investigative steps,” they wrote in a court filing.
They also said the affidavit must stay sealed because the inquiry involves “highly classified materials”.
Click to watch our video of the week
Advertise or Publish a Story on EkoHot Blog:
Kindly contact us at [email protected] Breaking stories should be sent to the above email and substantiated with pictorial evidence.
Citizen journalists will receive a token as data incentive.
Call or Whatsapp: 0803 561 7233, 0703 414 5611